Monday, January 14, 2013

Caramelized Onions

Here's another staple I keep handy for red meat and the occasional baked potato. Since there's no sugar added, it takes a little longer for them to caramelize, but the taste is exactly the same.

1-1/2 - 2 TB EVOO
2 yellow onions, sliced thinly with a mandoline or a really sharp knife
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I just grab a couple of healthy pinches, it's about the same)

Heat a nonstick skillet (I use an 8") over medium-low heat and coat the bottom with EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil). Add the onions, breaking up the slices as you add them to the pan, sprinkle with the kosher salt and use a pair of tongs to toss the onions and coat them with oil. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until they're a lovely, uniform medium golden brown. Don't rush this: cooking over higher heat will only cause them to burn instead of coaxing out the natural sugars. It'll take a good 30 minutes, so don't forget about them either!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel validated. This is how I make my caramelized onions. I'll admit to using butter versus EVOO if the mood strikes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always glad to offer validation! I love butter. Love, love, love it, but no dairy is allowed on either of these diets :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic site. I'm just starting the diet so I'm still exploring and trying to understand what I can or cannot eat. I've got most of it (no oils, wheat flour/corn/rye, no sugars glutamate). But I'm a little puzzled about oils. What oils are you allowed to eat? Olive-yes/no? No sunflower-of course, but I thought olive wasn't permitted. If someone could clear up this fog it would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog ;-). Yes, oils are a bit confusing. Olive oil and coconut oil are ok for sure. I think nut oils (for flavoring, like cold-pressed walnut oil in salad dressing) in small amounts are ok. Dogtor J says nuts and nut oils are fine in small amounts.
    Definitely no safflower, peanut (which is a legume, not a nut), or corn oil.

    Have you been to his site? Check out my blog post What is the GARD Diet, I have links to his site and one to a very informative video.

    Good luck!! I can happily attest that this diet has eliminated not only my migraines and chronic headache, but all my digestive issues, increased my alertness and stamina, lessened my arthritis and I haven't felt this good in 30 years. I can even "cheat" now and then without any bad results!

    ReplyDelete