Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lemon Roasted Cauliflower

Kris' husband Tom makes this Emeril Lagasse recipe and she says it's her favorite way to eat cauliflower. I found several Emeril variations on the internet. This one is very lemon-y when you first take it out of the oven, but it mellows quickly. I added a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes at the end, and it evened the flavors out perfectly for me. (That was the only change I made.) Serves 4

1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
4 TB EVOO
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
8 medium cloves garlic, each in 3-4 slices
2 lemons, cut in half and juiced
Crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400*F

Warm the EVOO in a large, oven-proof saucepan over medium heat. Add the cauliflower florets, salt & pepper, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Saute for a few minutes, tossing to coat. Add the lemon juice and lemon halves and toss to combine. Roast in the oven 25-35 minutes, until the cauliflower is at your preferred texture (I went to 35.)

[You can also roast it at 500*F which will brown the cauliflower and garlic more than this way; just make sure you turn it during roasting to keep any pieces from burning.]


Remove the lemon halves, put in a serving bowl and enjoy.


Note: I tried a little chopped fresh rosemary on a serving portion, as one variation suggested, but as much as I love fresh herbs, I felt this was one dish that was better without it.

P.S. I'm going to try this method with a head of broccoli.



1 comment:

  1. Kris just told me they, too, add crushed red pepper, but during the sautéing, so I'll do that next time!

    ReplyDelete